Vestas has been chosen as the preferred supplier of wind turbines for five wind energy projects in South Africa, totalling in 297 MW Of capacity. The company has been awarded this status by the South African Department of Energy, as part of the second round of tenders for renewable energy development.
The five projects for which Vestas is to supply wind turbines are:
- West Coast 1 (94 MW), developed by GDF Suez
- SA Tsitsikamma (95.33 MW), developed by Cennergi
- Grahamstown (24.60 MW), developed by EDF Energies Nouvelles
- Grassridge (61.50 MW), developed by EDF Energies Nouvelles
- Chaba (21.53 MW), developed by EDF Energies Nouvelles
In the first round of tenders, Vestas was already awarded the status of preferred supplier for seven projects, totalling in 435.1 MW, which is a bit more than a third of the approved wind energy developments in SA.